Saturday, April 17, 2010

What the hell IS Rise of the Eldrazi?

Has anyone really tried building a deck yet?

God I am confused about how this set is going to fit into Metagames around the world. Rise of the Loldrazi, at least to me, seems like a coreset of some sort, being made to run independently of of all other sets with all of the new mechanics and the ignoring of all other Block mechanics.

I think this time I am going to address the new mechanics that we are going to be seeing and why I think that they could either be great, or totally suck.

Level-Up:
Okay, what the Hell Wizards? You are not Konami, you don't print Yu-Gi-Oh cards, why the hell are you making a very similar mechanic in a game where spending excess mana does not leave you open to bluff anything.
Figure of Destiny was good, Figure was a Pseudo Leveler buthere's the thing: He didn't have 12 levels. Pump to 2/2, Pump to 4/4, Pump to 8/8 flier. He was good and broken, but guess what, he was the only real one in the set that worked like that, making him individual and not overusing a mechanic that when tacked onto commons and uncommons become something that's not even worth casting, even despite what Evan Erwin says.

I do have the guilty pleasure of liking some of the white cards' final pumps though. I have always been a big fan of defensive mechanic in white and white prevention. Almost every single white leveler becomes a wall, THAT ATTACKS. God how I would love a 5/12 to swing. Try jointblocking that!

Eldrazi Spawn:
Welcome to the world of unnecessary mana ramp. I have nothing to like about these. All they really are are little remnants of cards that should be a lower casting cost but they also produce eldrazi tokens. Why not just play the god damned rampant growth turn 2 so that you can BBE turn 3? It just seems so effective to ignore these little "Biddies" and play the card that doesnt have the tacked on eldrazi effect. It's faster, it's more efficient.

Rebound:
I'm going to come clean here, I have no idea whether I like Rebound or not. I mean, Cast Through Time looks so alluring but honestly, triggering on the upkeep? That rules out all X spells, all Counter Spells, it fizzles kill spells that will have no target. Also, What if I want to cast Day of Judgment and then play so critters, I can't. Although that is just the one card, the other effects are okay. No one really needs +2/+2 two turns in a row. The first time, it's a combat trick, the second, well then it's just like someone played a Giant Growth on their mainstep, just a nooby player mistake. Some spells are cool like, Target Player sacs a creature, you gain life, with REBOUND. for 5 Mana that's already a good card without rebound, what about now? Consuming Vapors will be played Quote me on it.

So overall there are a bunch of Odd mechanics, that we are not yet sure if work, but eh, who knows how they will play out until we eventually get them into the competitive environment. I'll be playing because I LOVE MAGIC.

Fail enough for ya?

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure we realized that the leveling mechanic is actually amazing. At least it makes a fuckton more sense after Patrick Chapin explains it (while doing meth).

    ReplyDelete